A number of high profile cyber breaches have driven home the need for stronger cyber security capabilities across a broader spectrum of Australian business.
Small-to-medium enterprises in particular are becoming more aware of their vulnerabilities when it comes to data protection. Additionally, the exponential rise of cyber crime, including the increasing availability of ever more sophisticated cyber crime tools to anyone with an internet connection is leading to major breaches of sensitive information through the exploitation of smaller firms, which have historically typically under-invested in cyber security.
October in many countries is a month to focus on cyber awareness. We have found a great podcast for you to watch.
Here are some quick take outs for small business:
Three key themes to basic cyber security for small and medium businesses:
1.Protect your files and devices
2. Protect your network
3. Make security business as usual
PROTECT YOUR FILES AND DEVICES
1. Update your software and make it automatic
2. Secure files with a back up online using YDF will ensure all items are encrypted
3. Update passwords regularly with at least 12 characters with upper and lower case
4. Encrypting devices
5. Multi factor authentication on all devices
PROTECTING YOUR NETWORK
1. Protect your router
2. Encrypt your network
MAKE SECURITY BUSINESS AS USUAL
1. Password security is a must
2. Getting people to “think” before they “click”
Take a listen to this podcast to get your small business informed and prepared to take the next steps towards better cyber security for you and your clients.